The most obvious thing to laugh at in this clip of Arthur Laffer, Super-genius Economist, is the whole "just wait till you see Medicare, Medicaid and health care done by the government" bit. But it's the part that preceded it that I'm going to harp on.



"If you like the Post Office and the Department of Motor Vehicles and you think they’re run well..." Okay, it's time to stop conflating these two groups for starters. DMV's are state agencies, not federal ones, and they work as well as the individual states require them to. The DMV in Louisiana when I started driving was a freaking disaster, and the one in Arkansas was worse, as getting a license required shuttling between two offices on opposite sides of town. The one in California, however, was a dream--everything was organized and I was in and out in less than thirty minutes in both cases. And it's much the same here in Florida, though I am miffed that the state has added a year onto my life without my permission and makes it difficult to get it fixed. Guess I'll have to wait until I move to another state to take care of that.

The Post Office, however, is brilliant. Nowhere else in the world can you have someone come to your house, pick up a letter, and deliver it to whatever the farthest part of the US away from your home is for under 50 cents, usually in 2 to 3 days. I just got back from the post office mailing out books to two people, each over a pound, and spent less that five bucks total. It took me less than five minutes because I used an automated kiosk in the lobby of the building, and I put it on my debit card. Fed Ex and UPS can't come close to touching that service.

What's more, the Postal Service goes places private industry won't. If a place is deemed too rural to be financially viable, no private delivery service will go there, not without charging an exorbitant fee--and sometimes not even then. The Postal Service will. It gets the job done. If we're looking for a model for efficient, high-quality service for healthcare, we could do a lot worse than the post office.

Newer Post Older Post Home