Oh, that's funny

I guess I've long had this notion that since elected members of the federal government are such a small group, that they probably knew each other pretty well. I mean, I read about the DC cocktail party circuit, and how everyone is chummy when they're not on the floor of the House or the Senate impugning each other with backhanded compliments, so I was a little surprised and a lot amused to read this story about Ileana Ros-Lehtinen hanging up on both President-elect Barack Obama and soon-to-be White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel when they called her yesterday.

When President-elect Barack Obama called Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen at her South Florida district office Wednesday, she hung up on him.

'I thought: 'Why would Obama want to call a little slug on the planet like me?'" Ros-Lehtinen said.

A short time later, Rahm Emanuel, Obama's designated chief of staff, called. Ros-Lehtinen hung up on him, too.

"I thought it was one of the radio stations in South Florida playing an incredible, elaborate, terrific prank on me," Ros-Lehtinen said. "They got Fidel Castro to go along. They've gotten Hugo Chavez and others to fall for their tricks. I said, 'Oh, no, I won't be punked'."
Both sides took the misunderstanding well, according to the article, which is good to know.

Now that I think about it, it's silly to assume that the House members even know each other very well. There are 435 of them. I doubt that I know 435 people personally (though I have slightly more than that number of friends, according to Facebook). Just a case of never having considered it before.

Newer Post Older Post Home