Tales from the Polls

I waited in line two and a half hours today to cast my vote for Obama and against amendment two. Some interesting things happened to me during my wait, while voting, and afterwards. While waiting in line I met a young VERY soon to be mother. This election is the first time that she’s old enough to vote. She is due on October 26th and stood on her feet for two and a half hours to cast her vote just in case she went into labor and wouldn’t be able to make it to the polls by November 4th. All of us who drive by voting locations and keep on going when we see a long line need to take notes from this young mother who toughed it out because she knows how important this election is.

Also, the entire time I stood in line I didn’t see one person abandon ship. No one was complaining, or seemed frustrated. I thought about when I was little and my mother took me to vote with her. There was never anyone there and if there were even a few people in line there were complaints. It was amazing to see so many people taking time out of their day to make a decision about their future, and to see how many of them were making the right decision.

Once I got inside to vote, the woman sitting next to me looked at me and said “This is full of jazz. I’m not filling out all this paperwork. I’m voting Obama and going home.” It took me a minute to figure out what the hell “full of jazz” means. Even though I wish she would have stayed to vote against amendment two, I was glad that after this long campaign and long wait to vote she at least had it in her to fill in that bubble and shove it on through.

After voting, I went home and ordered delivery from the local Italian joint. I didn’t realize I was wearing my Obama shirt and when I opened the door to the delivery man he smiled. He told me he wasn’t eligible to vote yet because he was still only a resident and actually thanked me for voting for Obama. He said that he was thanking anyone he met who voted for Obama because he felt like it was a vote for him. I felt all warm and fuzzy inside and then stuffed my face.

Anyone who hasn’t voted yet should get on out and do it. Besides making your voice heard, you might find yourself with a great crowd that reminds you that community and civic responsibility are amazing things.

Newer Post Older Post Home