There was good news from Governor Charlie Crist today--he extended early voting hours in response to the long lines that we've experienced, and while Crist has done a lot of things that bother the hell out of me, this is a good one, because it says that he's at least willing to pay lip service to democracy.

Not so for one of his colleagues:

"He just blew Florida for John McCain," one plugged in Florida Republican just told me.
Call me a pie-eyed optimist, but I'd like to think that winning an election comes down to, at heart, doing a better job of convincing more people that you're right than your opponents do, not gaming the system to disenfranchise people by making it difficult for them to do the bare minimum required of citizenship--cast a vote. If I'm involved in a campaign and I lose, I can deal with that as long as I have the perception that the vote was reasonably fair, and that people had the chance to cast a vote. I don't know who that Republican was, but I've got precious little respect for him or her. I'm not naive--I know there are Democrats who will wrangle the system as much as they can to get out their vote and suppress the Republican vote, and I have just as little respect for them.

Newer Post Older Post Home