Do You Pay Tax?

I pay tax. And I'm not even opposed to the idea. I want to live in a strong country with a strong society built on services like public education, community policing, and universal healthcare, and I do not want that strength paid for through conquest and slavery. That means I approve of taxation.

I'm definitely displeased with how that money gets spent: too much goes to bombs and planes and corporate profits. Too little goes to salaries and services that will better the lives of larger numbers of people. But those are two separate battles: taxes, yes; more public say-so in how the money gets spent, yes, yes, yes.

But no one but very poor individuals should get out of paying tax altogether. Why? Because we're all benefiting, every second of every day, from living in a society with services. Even if I don't use public schools and the community police directly, I benefit from living in a society whose stability is born of those things, rather than an every-serf-for-himself banana republic.

Which is why THIS is utterly scandalous:

Two out of every three United States corporations paid no federal income taxes from 1998 through 2005, according to a report released Tuesday by the Government Accountability Office, the investigative arm of Congress.


Parasites. Nothing but parasites. Burn them to the fucking ground.

Newer Post Older Post Home