Taking on one of your own

I saw the headline for Leonard Pitts' column and I was about to go into a rage--"Don't attack the patriotism of our patriots," it read, and I steeled myself for another dishonest attack on what General Wesley Clark said on Face the Nation last Sunday.

That's why it's important to actually read the thing.

Which is not to say that I don't have some problems with his column, just not the one I thought I'd have. See, Pitts takes on someone who deserves a rhetorical kick in the mouth, and it's someone with whom I often find myself on the same side, politically speaking--John Aravosis of Americablog.

Aravosis is like the Andrew Sullivan of the left--he's loud, petulant, intemperate, not as smart as he thinks he is, and prone to making grossly overreaching statements. He also doesn't like it when you call him out on it on his own site, which often leads to one's being banned from commenting there.

So I'm glad to see Pitts taking him on, because while Gen. Clark certainly did not attack John McCain's patriotism or service, Aravosis did. Here's the post Pitts is talking about, and the statement he's referring to:

Yes, we all know that John McCain was captured and tortured in Vietnam (McCain won't let you forget). A lot of people don't know, however, that McCain made a propaganda tape for the enemy while he was in captivity. Putting that bit of disloyalty aside, what exactly is McCain's military experience that prepares him for being commander in chief?
There's just no reason for this, especially given that that's pretty much the whole argument of the post. You know something, Aravosis? Even if I thought making a propaganda film after being tortured were the height of disloyalty, I could still forgive it. Why?

Because he was being tortured.

What McCain did while being tortured in Vietnam is off-limits--you got that? Especially since there are plenty of other things to go after McCain on, not least of which is his change of heart on whether the US should torture Guantanamo detainees. The last thing the left needs is to be associated with the "Still in Saigon" crowd.

Newer Post Older Post Home