Back in April, Amy mentioned that she'd been accepted for publication in a print journal called Relief: A Quarterly Christian Expression. I was accepted in that issue as well, which means that for the first time in our careers and our relationship, Amy and I will be in the same journal at the same time. We're very excited.

But there's even more news. My poem, a ten section monster titled "Hall Raising," was just given one of the Editor's Choice" awards, and considering that less than a year ago, I'd almost despaired of ever seeing that poem in print (I've pulled it from my book-length manuscript), this really feels good. It's especially cool because the final section of the poem has a clear statement that the speaker (and it's semi-autobiographical) isn't a believer anymore, but the editors never asked me to change a word of it. They've been open and accepting to it from the start, and I'm planning on sending them more of my work in the future. The issue we're in isn't out yet--we just looked at our galleys a couple of days ago--but you can subscribe here if you are so inclined.

Here's this week's Random Ten--put the iPod on party shuffle and then post the next ten songs to pop up. No skipping songs that embarrass you--there's not enough irony in the world to make "Desert Rose" okay.

1. La Sirena--Feist
2. Soon--Squirrel Nut Zippers
3. Right About Now--Talib Kweli
4. Sexy Mother Fucker--Prince
5. Shatter--Liz Phair
6. Two Princes--Spin Doctors
7. Ohio--CSN&Y
8. Face of a Fighter--Willie Nelson
9. Don Henley Must Die--Mojo Nixon
10. I Believe I'll Dust My Broon--Robert Johnson
So what are you listening to on this fine Friday?

Newer Post Older Post Home