Stating the Obvious

When Barack Obama got hit with charges of being elitist a few weeks ago, my immediate reaction was "huh?" But I have a decent sense of his biography, seeing as I'm electoral politics is my crack, so I knew his biological father wasn't a big part of his life, that he was raised in part by his grandparents, that until not long ago, he and Michelle were paying off student loans--how elitist can you be if you're borrowing money to go to college?

And I knew that the comparison got even more ludicrous when you compared his background to that of his rivals. Hillary Clinton grew up in an affluent part of Chicago, and John McCain is the son of an admiral. That's not to say that you can't come from a privileged background and still empathize with the difficulties of the working class--FDR managed it pretty well, as have the Kennedys, and while I may disagree with some of the ways Hillary Clinton wants to address the issues of job creation and aid to working families, I don't doubt her sincerity in wanting to help them.

But it is a little, well, rich to point at Obama and call him an elitist, when he's come from the most humble of backgrounds of the big three, so I'm glad he reminded people of that when he was on the Today Show this morning. His campaign has had a few bad weeks lately--I think it's fair to say that the claims made by the Clinton camp from a few weeks ago that Obama hasn't been tested by the media have been answered now. And we'll get to see how all of this plays out in North Carolina and Indiana. I don't think it will have much impact on the overall race, unless Clinton beats Obama by double digits in Indiana, since that would show a real widening of a race that was neck-and-neck a week or so ago. But I'm wondering how much movement there's left to be had in the race. Not much, I suspect, and if Obama keeps picking up this trickle of superdelegates, we might have a candidate before the convention after all.

Newer Post Older Post Home