Bold words from Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, words I hope she can back up.

Pelosi predicted Wednesday that a presidential nominee will emerge in the week after the final Democratic primaries on June 3, but she said "I will step in" if there is no resolution by late June regarding the seating of delegates from Florida and Michigan, the two states that defied party rules by holding early primaries.

"Because we cannot take this fight to the convention," she said. "It must be over before then."
I want to see it, I really do, because while I continue to hope that this will be over, for all intents and purposes, after the primary and caucus season ends, I'm starting to have my doubts. Yeah, I'm taking a little longer than a lot of people, but I'm a starry-eyed optimist at times.

I hope that we'll take a big step toward ending this drama on May 31, when the Rules & Bylaws Committee meets to discuss the Florida and Michigan delegations. Clinton supporters are planning on protesting the meeting, while the Obama campaign is asking his supporters to not protest, but instead to help register voters in Virginia. I know which group I think is doing more to build the party.

There are a lot of conflicting reports coming out right now. The DNC lawyers issued an opinion that says at a minimum, Florida and Michigan have to lose half their delegates, which is fine with me. I hope it's fine with the state delegation as well, because I think they, not Clinton, get the final say on what gets appealed to the convention floor.
In an interview Wednesday with The Associated Press, Clinton said she is willing to take her fight to seat Florida's and Michigan's delegates to the convention if the two states want to go that far.
Sounds to me like the states can put the kibosh on any appeal to the convention just by taking a deal from the Rules & Bylaws Committee. I hope the people from Florida who have that power make a wise choice, i.e., take the deal and start with the unification.

Still, it would be nice to know what Pelosi has in mind, just in case that doesn't happen. I like watching her bring the hammer down.

Newer Post Older Post Home