Wow. Just wow.

Here's the only proper response to the following statement from a RedState email:

Clearly McCain was talking about a peace time standing presence ... Someone should ask the Democrats if they think we're still at war with the confederacy, the Germans, and the Japanese given all the standing American armies in the South, Germany, and Japan.
Emphasis mine. The best response?



Now that we have the response out of the way, let's deal with the mindset that prompted that statement. Bill Scher says, in the above-linked post, "I can't believe I am wasting 15 seconds of my life to type this, but having military bases in Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina does not constitute a permanent occupation. Does RedState really believe that 140 years after the Civil War, American troops have a "peace time standing presence" in the American south?"

The short answer is that someone obviously does believe just that, and the belief, while not widespread, I would say, does make a certain amount of sense--if you're a believer in the right of the Confederacy to secede from the Union.

You see, there are still lots of people in the South who are fighting that war. Some of them use the Confederate Battle Flag as decoration. Some take part in Civil War re-enactments. Some belong to the Klan. Not everyone who fits one of these categories believes that the south is still occupied territory, but there are obviously some, and at least one is responsible for putting out emails for RedState.

I think sometimes that people from outside the south don't realize that Faulkner wasn't exaggerating when he said "the past isn't dead. It isn't even past." Some of my fellow southerners are insane about this stuff, and I mean that in the clinical sense--they have not let the Civil War go. (They're the folks who call it the War of Northern Aggression, by the way. Tread lightly and don't turn your back on them.)

I want to emphasize that this is a tragically small group of people. They might even be a minority in the militia movement. But if I were looking for them, that's where I'd start. But I'm not looking. I try to leave crazy alone.

Newer Post Older Post Home