My Congresswoman has been getting beaten up a little on the front page of Daily Kos the last couple of days, and with good reason. She's stated openly that she won't help the efforts of Miami Democrats to replace Mario and Lincoln Diaz-Balart and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen. Now understand, these are three of King George the Lesser's most solid votes in the House. I've written the following letter to Rep. Wasserman-Schultz, and if you live in her district, I urge you to contact her as well.

Rep. Schultz,
I'm really proud that you're my representative. The only time that I've been this proud was when I lived in San Francisco and was represented by the current Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, and I can see you potentially filling that position one day, if not moving on to the Senate or even higher. You're a strong voice for progressive causes in the House, and you've been a solid vote on issues that mean a lot to me, most recently the FISA immunity issue.

Which is why it bothers me so much that you're refusing to take on Florida Republicans in the House in this campaign season. I understand that you may have personal relationships with people like Rep. Ros-Lehtinen, but right now the nation needs even larger Democratic party majorities in both the House and the Senate, and you need to put personal feelings aside in this matter. The Miami Republicans may be nice people--when I've seen them on tv, they certainly come across as personable enough--but they consistently oppose progressive legislation and have refused to override President Bush's vetoes more than once over the last year. S-CHIP, timetables for bringing our troops home from Iraq, the FISA telecom immunity issue--they're on the wrong side of those issues, and unless people like you are willing to challenge the safety of their seats, they'll never change their minds.

And don't think for a moment they wouldn't do it to you, given the chance.

Some things are more important than personal likes and dislikes. The Miami Republicans need to go, and you need to step up and help us replace them with progressive representatives who can help us turn this nation around.

Newer Post Older Post Home