When I Was A Loser, Part II

Some of you may recall my post from a few months ago inspired by the John McNally-edited essay collection When I Was A Loser. This article in today's A.V. Club reminded me of that post. And some memoires of, you know, when I was a loser. Or more of a loser than I am today. Whatever.

The article-- titled "The Knights Who Say "Nerd": 20 Pop-Cultural Obsessions Even Geekier Than Monty Python"-- is pretty great, offering up a comprehensive look at all sorts of nerdy interests and pursuits. Star Trek. Fantasy sports leagues. Roleplaying games. Joss Whedon. But they seem to have forgotten about Kevin Smith, which seems like a glaring omission to me-- like Joss Whedon, he's someone whose success depends just as largely on the incredible relationship he's built with his audience as it does on the actual work he's produced. But Smith goes even further than Whedon in terms of marketing himself as a down-to-earth everyman, deliberately putting his nerdier qualities on display in an effort to build solidarity between himself and the young men in his audience (for proof, just read his blog). As a result, Smith can pretty much make as many Jersey Girls as he wants-- his devoted fans will continue to support him, because they've come to regard him not so much as a filmmaker, but as a close friends that they will enthusiastically defend against all criticism and insults. As I've mentioned before, I don't really care for Kevin Smith movies. But to give credit where credit is due-- like Dane Cook and Howard Stern, the guy is a marketing genius. At least when the product he's marketing is Kevin Smith.

I was also kind of surprised to see that Star Trek, Magic the Gathering, and Frank Zappa made the list, but comic books didn't. And what about Star Wars? Or Babylon 5? Or Rush? Or...

Newer Post Older Post Home