Whazzawho? and a (non) Random Ten.

The Sun-Sentinel wants our opinion on something important.

Which of these love ballads melts your heart the most?
I Will Always Love You by Whitney Houston
At Last by Etta James
My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion
Endless Love by Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
Come Away With Me by Norah Jones
Let's Stay Together by Al Green
Every Breath You Take by The Police
I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder
Slow Dance by John Legend
Eres by Cafe Tacuba
Yikes.
Some of these selections are defensible, of course--hard to go wrong with Al Green or Etta James--and I can't say I know the pieces by Norah Jones, John Legend or Cafe Tecuba off the top of my head, but that leaves five utterly horrible choices, the worst of which is The Police, a hypnotic song (which I love) that is the farthest thing from romantic you can get, unless you're into stalkers.

So I'm presenting a (non) Random Ten this week, in no particular order, of perhaps lesser-known love songs from my iTunes collection, and which I believe are superior to at least half that list. Here we go.
1. Shoop--Salt n Pepa
2. Guajira (I Love U 2 Much)--Yerba Buena
3. Why Can't I Forget About You?--The Subdudes
4. I Think I Need a New Heart--Magnetic Fields
5. Ijustwannalayaroudnalldayinbedwithyou--The Coup
6. Doin' It--L L Cool J
7. In Spite of Ourselves--John Prine & Iris Dement
8. Clockwatching--Jason Mraz
9. Romeo and Juliet--Mark Knopfler
10. Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight--Spinal Tap

Okay, perhaps I'm stretching it a bit with Prine & Dement, but I think that's a decent list. Please, add your own in the comments, or complain about the original list. Whatever's your scene.

Newer Post Older Post Home