Things That Make You Go HMMM...

Conservatives tend to think in terms of (protecting) gun rights, and liberals tend to think in terms of (preventing) gun violence -- like Howard Dean famously did as a 2004 presidential candidate, I tend to think of this as a geographic issue: places with few deer and lots of humans should strictly limit guns, while places with an overabundance of deer (and boar and bear, oh my!) probably have good social and ecological reasons to abet hunters in their quest for game.

This story from the great state of West Virginia (shout out to Kristie and her people!):

A significant drop in the number of hunters in West Virginia has left a hole in the state's budget, and one lawmaker thinks he has a solution: Allow children to receive hunter training in school.

Children as young as 10 years old are already eligible for hunting licenses in the state, but training courses are typically offered outside of school. Proponents of the plan hope embedding training during school hours boosts interest.


Now here's an angle that never occurred to me: gun licenses as a major source of state revenue!

I think I may have a suggestion for some people in Tallahassee...

After all, American schools have long been used to educate our citizens in archaic skills -- let me tell you about my 7th grade home ec class, or my 8th grade shop class, or the several years I spent learning to play a giant violin I had to straddle between my legs, or how about those typing classes I was subjected to in the 7th and 10th grades, or that class in word processing and spreadsheets in the 9th, or those videos from the 50s about hygiene or that 1960s "people get all shrunk and go into the body to save the guy" sci fi movie that was a whole-school assembly...

Okay, actually, I liked that one... ;-)

Newer Post Older Post Home