My Students Are Awesome

As a part of my rhetoric class, I've had my students writing letters to the editors of local and national papers. So far, 7 of them have had their letters published. I can't tell you how great it is to teach writing in a context where the students can see an almost instant, non-academic, response to their words and ideas, and can get a taste of the real-world power effective writing can bring. They are an amazing group, and they are doing amazing things with the ancient tools of classical rhetoric. You can check out their argumentative genius on the blog they use to post and comment on each other's letters. (Only the students can comment, sorry.) The published letters are linked at the top-post.

Here's a sample from the Sun Sentinel:

February 19, 2008

As someone who works with young people, I found the brevity of the Feb. 14 article about the teenager killed in a drive-by shooting disturbing. I wanted to learn something about the life that was so tragically taken, such as was he still in school or had he already graduated, but there was nothing of the sort.

More prominent members of the community would have gotten more ink, and that is understandable. However, Ellis Stroud deserved more than 106 words.

Jesus Flores Jr.
Pompano Beach

Newer Post Older Post Home