Found: Robert Capa's Negatives
I'm a little behind in posting this, considering the story ran in the New York Times at the end of January, but I'm still thinking about the story and thought I'd share. Robert Capa, the quintessential war photographer, fled Paris in 1939, leaving negatives of the Spanish Civil War behind in his studio. Those negatives were found, and are now at the ICP. This is pretty extraordinary. In addition to seeing new images, photography scholars think they may be able to learn whether Capa's picture of "The Falling Soldier" (considered his most famous) was staged. I recall this being a topic of discussion and speculation when I was an undergrad in photojournalism.

An interesting slice of information I learned from the article: Capa's partner in war photography was a woman named Gerda Taro--she is considered one of the first female war photographers, and was killed on the front lines in Spain. The two of them often shared credit for the photos each took, so it's possible some of the pics attributed to Capa were taken by Taro.

Researchers have already found pictures of Hemingway and Federico GarcĂ­a Lorca in the collection of Capa's negatives.

Capa's Falling Soldier:












An American Soldier landing on Omaha Beach, D-Day. (My favorite Capa picture):

Newer Post Older Post Home