Blind golfing and the Random Ten

Interesting question:

CLEARWATER, Fla. - A hole-in-one is rare on the golf course, but what are the odds of a blind golfer sinking one?
Now I'm no statistical expert, but I'd bet, as a bad golfer in my own right, that the odds are about the same for a blind golfer who plays regularly as they are for one who hacks it around the course once a month or less, or even better. A large part of playing golf involves muscle memory, and replicating your swing--that takes practice more than it takes the ability to see where the ball is going. Now I'm not going to suggest that blind golfers have an advantage off the tee because they can solely focus on their swings--vision is important--but when it comes to something as an ace from 110 yards away, well, vision is a fairly insignificant part of the last inch to the whole. Aces are as much luck as skill--a terrific golfer might be able to stick a pitching wedge to within 5 feet of the pin 9 out of 10 times and never make an ace, whereas a duffer might miss the green 4 times and still stick it in the hole.

The amazing thing to me wasn't that he was blind--it was that he was 92 and plays every Thursday. I want to be that spry when I'm in my 90s. I also want to be able to afford the greens fees, but that's a whole other set of worries.

Here's the Random Ten, 50,000th visitor edition: party shuffle chooses them, I write them down, you mock me. That's the way this thing works, and we all need to do our parts. Here we go:
1. Don't Call Her No Tramp--Betty Davis
2. Same Kooks--The Hold Steady
3. Stairway to Heaven--Hayseed Dixie
4. Little Ghost--The White Stripes
5. Believe--Ozomatli
6. Curbside Prophet--Jason Mraz
7. Alive--Chris Thomas King
8. Hoarding it for Home--Mates of State
9. Lies--Thompson Twins
10. Write Me Back Fucker--Sleater-Kinney
Hmmmm. No Asia this week. I'll have to rectify that.

Newer Post Older Post Home