Sometimes, I think I'm not the target audience

I read The New York Times every day, though I did spend my formative newspaper-reading years with other newspapers (The Minneapolis Star-Tribune and The Chicago Tribune to be precise). Sometimes, however, it's rather clear to me that I am not the target audience of some of the features.

For example, take this article about building a personal library.

READING is part of getting away for many people, whether it’s packing a couple of paperbacks for a Caribbean vacation or browsing the bookshelf on a rainy Saturday at a friend’s country house. Indeed, built-in bookshelves and rooms called libraries are common amenities in vacation-home properties.


Okay, I can get behind this. I like to read. And I like vacation. Sometimes, the two things even go together for me. I don't really think about "vacation-home properties," but the problem of what to read on vacation has certainly come up for me.

Then I read the next paragraph:

If you’re staring at empty shelves in your new weekend home, you should ask yourself some questions before taking your credit card into the little bookstore in the village. For whom are you buying books? And for what purpose? If they’re to be merely decorative, you’re probably best off buying secondhand hardbacks. Don’t forget the oversize art books for those tall bottom shelves.


Oops. Never mind. They're not talking to me.

I probably should have figured that out when I saw that the article linked to more "Your Second Homes" columns.

Newer Post Older Post Home