Briefly

Emily and I are headed out of town for the evening, to visit with some old grad school friends who are visiting relatives nearby. We're already running late because... well, because I'm an asshole who can't be bothered to get in the shower and get dressed in order to get out the door when we said we would.

Still, I wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone that the major networks' late night talk show hosts return to the air tonight-- only one with the blessing and support of the Writer's Guild. David Letterman's production company negotiated a deal with the writers in order to return to the air; the NBC and ABC hosts will return without writers, apparently relying on Jay Leno and Jimmy Kimmel's "charisma" to carry their shows.

Frankly, I think it would be nice if those of us who have been supporting the Writer's Guild these past few weeks started watching and talking about the Letterman show. Some online commentators have pointed out that if Letterman pounds Leno in the ratings these next few days and weeks, it will provide the striking writers with even more ammunition; however, the reverse is also true-- if Leno's ratings remain the same and is Letterman doesn't carry the timeslot, an argument could be made that the writers are largely irrelevant when it comes to a television show's profitability.

Anyway, the only downside to watching Letterman tonight is that his guest is Robin Williams. Like I said, I'll be out of town and thus unable to watch, but even if I was in town, I'm not sure my convictions could force me to watch Robin Williams. But maybe people should watch the show, then get caught up on emailing their elected representatives about the occupation of Iraq while Williams is on or something.

By the way, I've read that Mike Huckabee's going to be on Leno tonight. That raises the interesting question of how the so-called populist candidate can justify crossing a picket line, doesn't it? Or, at least, it would if any of us were still operating under the delusion that Mike Huckabee has ever allowed principles to govern his actions.

Newer Post Older Post Home