Reading Early Wonder Woman, part three

(Click here for the first two parts of the series)

One of the characters that William Moulton Marston introduces readers of Wonder Woman to is the sassy sorority sister/band leader Etta Candy. Wonder Woman goes in search of an army (of sorts) to help defeat Doctor Poison -- and she knows that going to the Army itself will endanger Steve's life.

Instead, she heads to Holliday College for Women to seek out Etta Candy, a friend of the real Nurse Diana Prince. Etta Candy is always willing to help a friend -- and she helps out Wonder Woman frequently throughout the early issues, shouting "Woo-woo!" in excitement for capturing the criminals.

When they first meet, Wonder Woman remarks that she didn't initially recognize Etta, because "my friend, Diana Prince, the nurse, said you were a thin girl when she knew you in the hospital."

Etta explains: "I was thin, all right, when I went to the hospital. But after they took out my appendix, I could eat anything -- so I did! Nurse Diana was swell to me -- I'd do anything for her -- except diet!" In later issues, Etta does diet (a bit) for Diana Prince, taking off ten pounds, but hates it. She tells Diana, "Well, Di, I kept my promise. I took off ten pounds, but I don't like it -- gimme my candy!"

So, a sidekick who's sassy, always willing to "catch a man," always loyal, and hates to diet. She and her army of beautiful, strong girls from Holliday College always enjoy the chase against the enemy -- describing it (as Wonder Woman often does) as a game.

I simply wanted to introduce to you this fun character. Others have had good (more thorough) discussions of Etta Candy: go here and here


crossposted at The Seacoast of Bohemia

Newer Post Older Post Home