Child star Mickey Rooney scares me



I've been watching the 1935 version of A Midsummer Night's Dream. Ostensibly, I put this on as background noise while I clean.

Man, I am not enjoying it. The combination of the Shakespeare play, the Mendelssohn music, and little Mickey Rooney just overwhelm me.

But not really in a good way. I'm not a big fan of the style of acting in the movie -- it's typical of the Shakespearean acting of the first half of the 20th century, which just doesn't do it for me. More to the point, however, is that Mickey Rooney as Puck scares me. It's the unnatural shrieking laugh.

Okay, the little goblin things make me nervous, too -- they look like something between Nosferatu and the Oompa-loompas in the 70s version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Anyway ... I'm going to keep this thing on through to the end, because I've made it through most of it. I just don't recommend it.

Newer Post Older Post Home