You bet your ass I'm saving the date

And as soon as I find out how to get tickets, I'm all up in this thing.

Two nationally televised presidential debates will be held at Florida Atlantic University's Boca Raton campus before the state's presidential primary, the local NBC affiliate is reporting.

NBC will broadcast debates on Jan. 23 and Jan. 25, leading into the state's new Jan. 29 primary, according to WPTV, which is the Sun-Sentinel's news partner.

Now, it's entirely possible this will all fall through--a lot of it depends on what has happened in Iowa and New Hampshire by then, and whether the DNC has backed off on its threat to disenfranchise Florida Dems of their delegates. I'd imagine that for the moment, the major candidates at the very least will hesitate to agree to come, but that they'll accept the invitation as the date approaches. If Clinton has won Iowa and New Hampshire (and whatever other states have jumped their primaries and caucuses forward), the Florida could be a last-ditch chance for the anti-Clinton to make a stand. If Clinton stumbles in one of those early states, though, Florida is a good place for her to rebound--she's got a lot of support around here, especially down south.

Of these two scenarios, by the way, I expect there's a better chance of the latter than the former. The scenario I see most right now is that Clinton rolls the early states and Florida is one of the final nails in the coffin for the other candidates. But this is September, and four months is a lifetime in a presidential campaign.

I also expect that the first candidate to decline the invitation will be John Edwards, largely because he's counting on an Iowa win to rejuvenate his candidacy. I also imagine he'll be first in line to accept after Iowa, whether he wins or loses.

Regardless, I want to be there, hopefully as a blogger, but as a spectator regardless. And if I'm feeling up for doing some mockery, maybe for the Republicans as well. I can't even begin to imagine what that freakshow is going to look like by late January.

Newer Post Older Post Home