Some Pop Culture Notes

Finally-- a sequel to Hamlet. Okay, not really-- it's a comedy about a guy who's trying to write a sequel to Hamlet. This is a great idea, if you ask me-- I'm excited already.

Adult Swim's new comedy Lucy, the Daughter of the Devil is really, really funny. Loren Brouchard and H. Jon Benjamin(Dr. Katz, Home Movies) are joined by the always-hilarious Eugene Mirman. Benjamin is particularly funny as Satan-- particularly when he sings Pat Benatar on Karaoke night. Just watch it-- you'll see what I mean.

HBO's new drama about marriage and sex, Tell Me You Love Me was quite good too. You've probably read something about this show-- it's the one that's like thirtysomething but with more explicit sex. Critics have complained that the show follows the Sex and the City formula of presenting really privileged people bitching about their relatively inconsequential problems-- "Aw, poor suburbanites aren't fucking so much now that they have kids? Cry me a river." Actually, though, I didn't find that to be the case at all. I thought the show was a pretty thoughtful meditation on how men and women relate to each other, and how building a life with another person can seem downright impossible at times, even when it's obvious that both partners are still deeply in love.

The problem with the show is that it's relentlessly bleak-- as Emily said when it was over, "That was good, but it was really depressing." Part of it, I'm sure, is that Emily and I worry that shows like this might be giving us a hint of what the future has in store-- we've only been together for five years, and married for almost three. We have a married friend who "warned" us both one night when we were engaged-- after a few drinks-- that the secret that nobody admits about marriage is that you eventually fall out of love, but you're hopefully able to remain friends to the point that the marriage doesn't make you absolutely miserable. So far, I tend to think he was wrong about that, but it's kind of terrifying to think that Emily and I might someday get to a point where we merely tolerate each other. Still. I doubt we'll ever have sexual problems. Our virginity pledge precludes that, I think.

Newer Post Older Post Home