Right-wingers are a bunch of bedwetting cowards and other 9/11 observations

I wasn't planning on writing anything like this today, but my ire is up, so what the hell. I get annoyed on those rare occasions when I wander through the right-wing blogosphere and find that anyone who isn't fellating Bush and the Iraq War effort is a coward or a traitor or simply not living in the post 9/11 world. It gets a little boring, frankly, which is why I don't do it very often. So here's a list of things I worry about more than an invasion of Islamofascists bent on destroying western civlization.

I worry about getting getting slammed into by some numbskull on I-95 as I'm on my way to meet with my bankruptcy lawyer this afternoon.

Let me expand that--I worry about driving in south Florida, period.

I worry about buying a house down here because it seems that in 30 years, it may be underwater, even if I'm living on the border of the Everglades.

I worry about hurricanes.

I worry about an increase in violent crime thanks to the ruinous economy, about being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I worry about slipping on a wet spot in my apartment, and smacking my head.

I worry about poison in my food and in consumer goods since everything seems to come from China.

I worry about an unstable student, mad at the world, deciding to take it out on my classroom.

The truth is, I don't really worry about any of these things, at least not in a conscious, life-altering way. Some of these threats are ever-present, some of them less so, but they're all far more immediate than the possibility of an al Qaeda invasion. Hell, there's a better chance I'll catch Ebola off a toilet seat than there is of an al Qaeda invasion. But not if you're a right-winger.

If you're a right-winger, the threat is ever-present. You show your firm opposition by wearing a stupid fucking tee shirt and talking like you're contributing to the fight by spouting off lies, distortions, and demonizations of those who dare to disagree with you. You're claiming that the left is the enemy of all that is decent and wholesome and American. You might not be joining the military--you might have other things to do, like make lots of money in hedge funds or become a corporate lawyer or become Karl Rove's personal servant and service his every desire--but you're doing your part in this "global struggle."

What must it be like, to live your life in such fear, in such terror of what might come? Or worse, what kind of darkness must inhabit your soul that you attempt to scare others, so that you might benefit from their fear? That's no way to live a life.

Newer Post Older Post Home