Oh! Too many pretty ladies on TV!

Media Matters is reporting that Chris Matthews has again commented on the physical appearance of a female guest on his show. (Click here for the time before this one). Media Matters has also repeatedly made note of the times that Glenn Beck made crude remarks to female guests or female CNN anchors.

I really don't get why this is occurring at all.

When I was flipping through the channels Tuesday night, I caught a glimpse of the O'Reilly Factor. I happened to catch this clip (transcript via LexisNexis)

Here to talk about that and other legal matters, Lis Wiehl and Megyn Kelly.
First of all, could one of you two become a brunette, because I'm getting mixed up here.
MEGYN KELLY, FOX NEWS ANALYST: Well...
O'REILLY: I mean, I...
LIS WIEHL, FOX NEWS ANALYST: Keeping up with...
O'REILLY: Sunny -- Sunny Hostin is off tonight, and I usually have a brunette and a blonde. And now I'm...
WIEHL: Now you're confused.


The thing is, O'Reilly can only tell women apart if they have different hair color. Blondes all look alike. The thing that you don't find out in the transcript is how irritated Lis Wiehl looked when O'Reilly said this. I can't find any video of this ... but she looked mad. O'Reilly even tried to play it off by suggesting that he gets "too much glare" from the blonde hair under those bright studio lights.

I don't understand this current need to comment on women's appearances (okay, yes I do). I don't agree with many of these guests, but that doesn't mean I can't be bothered by the fact that these hosts are harrassing these women. Oh ... you have an idea? Let's talk about how pretty you are. That's a great way to cut down the argument.

Go ahead and read the media matters stuff -- they've covered most of the stuff already.

Just a friendly reminder that women on television probably don't need to be told that they're pretty. And that it's completely irrelevant on a news (ahem, "news") program.

Newer Post Older Post Home