I'm Hiding in Honduras/ I'm a Desperate Man

Warren Zevon's been dead for over four years now. I had intended to make a note of the anniversary of his passing on September 7th, his actual death date, but got overwhelmed with other stuff. Still, I didn't want September to end with absolutely no mention of the man. I remember in high school, my friends and I would drive around listening to "Werewolves of London," "Lawyers, Guns, and Money," and "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner." That second album-- Excitable Boy-- is the album most people can agree on, but I actually like a lot of his other songs more. "The French Inhaler" and "Desperadoes Under the Eaves," from the eponymous album, for example. Or, from the eighties, "Reconsider Me" and "Detox Mansion." Later still, towards the end of his career, his songs of gloomy middle aged regret and morbid preoccupation-- "I Was in the House When the House Burned Down," "My Ride's Here," and "My Shit's Fucked Up." And don't even get me started on how he transformed a mediocre Steve Winwood song into something haunting and memorable with his version of "Back in the High Life Again."

Anyhow... I came across this today-- a string quartet tribute to Warren Zevon. It just struck me as profoundly odd-- someone's taken Warren Zevon's songs and turned them into music that sounds like something you hear at a wedding while people are finding their seats. In fact, I want this version of "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" to be played at my funeral, I think (Emily, you getting this down? Good).

Anyway... here are some Warren Zevon videos for you to enjoy-- I particularly recommend the first one, "Werewolves of London," which seems to feature a cameo appearance by one of the Geiko cavemen a good thirty years before that advertising campain began.





Newer Post Older Post Home