Only 237?

I suppose it falls to me to write about this latest research seeing as two of my co-bloggers are signers of a highly effective virginity pledge and the third is engaged in actual work.

For now, thanks to psychologists at the University of Texas at Austin, we can at last count the whys. After asking nearly 2,000 people why they’d had sex, the researchers have assembled and categorized a total of 237 reasons — everything from “I wanted to feel closer to God” to “I was drunk.” They even found a few people who claimed to have been motivated by the desire to have a child.

I read the procreation line with a bit of snark, but regardless, I find it heartening that among college students, male and female, the top reason for having sex was "I was attracted to the person." Because really, that is a good enough reason to violate a virginity pledge.

There were some sad reasons included as well: “I was afraid my partner would have an affair if I didn’t” is the one that hit me the hardest (of the ones listed in Tierney's piece) because of the desperation inherent in it. My guess is that if a person is having sex for that reason, his or her partner is already cheating and it's only a matter of time before the relationship either ends or gets really, really ugly.

The worst one, I have to imagine, was uncovered by AP Science writer Seth Borenstein. "I wanted to give someone else a sexually transmitted disease." That's fucked up.

Newer Post Older Post Home