The Passing of the Comics

When I was in high school, I, like many other nerds, collected comics--X-Men, Alpha Flight, Daredevil, The Avengers, She-Hulk, Groo the Wanderer. I had varied tastes. I gave it up not long before I finished high school and got rid of them completely before I got married. I got back into it for one title about three years ago, when my late obsession for comics hit my then obsession for all things Kevin Smith.

Fast forward to today. Monkey has a similar obsession for anime and manga, two genres I never got interested in, but she popped up this afternoon and mentioned Green Arrow, one of my favorites. Something about archery has always fascinated me--couldn't tell you what it is. So I passed along the last comics I ever collected--the Kevin Smith authored Green Arrow miniseries, all twelve issues that have gone from Fayetteville to San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale, still in their mylar bags. Part of me wants to snatch them back, but it's better if I don't.

Newer Post Older Post Home