And all the little Freeper heads went pop-pop-pop

Or rather, they had their greatest fears realized because MTV fans love teh gay.

Jake Gyllenhaal, who beat out Oscar-winner Reese Witherspoon for best performance, teamed with "Brokeback Mountain" co-star Heath Ledger for best kiss.

"This is a real honor, not just for me and Heath but for all of you, that you picked this movie and this kiss over all the other ones," Gyllenhaal said.


(Note--I would have actually gone to Feeperland to find their reactions, but my computer refuses to do it anymore. It gets pissed.)

I'm sure that Freepers expected nothing less, and they'll use it as further proof that Hollywood is full of decadence and sodomy and offers nothing useful to the rst of the world. I imagine they refuse to believe that in the long run they're on the losing end of the battle over discrimination against gays, but they are, and pop-culture moments like this one are living proof of it.

I know--there are worries over the same-sex marriage amendments that are ever so popular at driving up the fundie vote in state races, but the trend is clear-the younger the age group, the more accepting they are of same-sex relationships, and more likely to support complete equality, including same-sex marriage. It's been a similar track for interracial dating and marriage. I'd like it to come quicker--I'd like same-sex marriage to be legal now, and think it should be--but if we don't have that, we at least have a trend to be pleased about.

Newer Post Older Post Home