They're still laughing
And if you're still laughing, you ain't dead.

‘C’est Levee’
Krewe du Vieux has used its parade to mock corporations and politicians every year for the last two decades.

“It’s just we have more material this year,” Twitchell said before the parade, themed “C’est Levee,” a pun on the French phrase “C’est la vie,” meaning “that’s life.”

Floats and props built for the Saturday evening parade in the French Quarter included hand-pulled carts elaborately decorated with blue tarps, fake broken levees, cardboard travel trailers and effigies of Mayor Ray Nagin and Gov. Kathleen Blanco.

One display asked France to buy Louisiana back, suggesting the state might get better treatment than it has from the American government. And in place of a parade map, the Krewe du Vieux had a “projected path” adorned with a swirly hurricane symbol.

I've never been that big a fan of Mardi Gras--crowds just aren't my thing. Most of the times I went into the city for a parade, I went for Lundi Gras--only the hardest of hardcore parties (i.e. those so amped up on X that they couldn't stop going) or the people like me who wanted a more chill celebration were out. Most of the mid-level drunks were resting up from Sunday for the main event on Tuesday. But man, do I wish I could be there for this one.

Side note. Amy has informed me that storySouth has added us to their blogroll. I feel like we're branching out here. Guess that means I'll actually have to write about writing like I said I was going to all those months ago.

Newer Post Older Post Home