Thursday Night Poetry

Tonight's entry is from a woman I feel like I've been chasing in a way ever since I started writing again: Alison Pelegrin. Alison and I went to the same university for our undergraduate degrees, although we never met while there, and then I followed her to the University of Arkansas for grad school, where my first year was her last. I just discovered Cochon de Lait which is her blog, and I plan on checking it out at length very soon. This poem is from her book The Zydeco Tablets:

The Zydeco Tablet

Who stole my monkey and my one good shoe?
I'm a traveling man looking for someone
To love at night, but every day I'm blue.

I'd walk ninety-five miles for a rendezvous,
Barefoot and bleeding, my collar undone.
Who stole my monkey and my one good shoe?

I'm the moody one coming to sing for you,
Rehearsing songs on my accordion.
I'm in love at night, but every day I'm blue.

I waltzed through Crowley in an orphan's suit,
No salt for the beans in my stew full of bones.
Who stole my monkey and my one good shoe?

Cochon de lait , I'd swallow nails to look at you,
Say your name until my voice is gone.
I'm in love at night, but every day I'm blue.

Sugar, you're the morning star, the midnight moon.
Of all the ladies in the Delta you're the one
Who stole my monkey. You're one good shoe
To love at night, but every day I'm blue.

Newer Post Older Post Home